Just a few years ago, driving through the 200th block of West Chapman Avenue in the Plaza District, one would never notice that a rare piece of Orange history still existed. Hidden behind a stucco facade storefront and lodged between Country Roads Antiques, and the "Ex-Mormons for Jesus" center stood the old Vineland Hotel. In 2009, the property was purchased by the Wahoo's Fish Taco franchise with plans to restore the building for use as company office space as well as a functioning restaurant.
Click here for the Wahoo's Fish Taco Initial Study conducted by Martin Eli Weil, Restoration Architect for the City of Orange dated January of 2009.
The following is an excerpt from the book, A Tour of Old Towne Orange 1999;
"Dr. W.F. Bailey built a large addition to his residence as a hotel. It contained 14 rooms fully furnished and was named Vineland, prior to the grape blight of 1888.
The two story building with a hip roof and regularly spaced sash windows. Ornamental brackets embellish the chimney but other than that, this building is simple and unadorned. Originally built on the rear of a one-story L-plan Victorian cottage, today that house is replaced by a stucco store-front commercial building which renders the original hotel building nearly invisible from the street. The hotel building remains in it's architectural state however, is barely visile from the street due to the presence of the building in front."
The old Vineland structure before the restoration process.
The inside of the hotel was in bad condition and disrepair.